Legal Question in Elder Law in Indiana

My husband's parents signed their house to my husband & his brother, holding a life estate for themselves. Now my husbands parents have passed. Both my husband and myself draw Social Security. Mine is Social Security/Disability. We both get extra help from Medicaid. The brother is wanting to buy my husband's half out. How can we collect that money and keep the Medicaid and my disability?

Asked on 2/19/22, 1:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

The proposed purchase shouldn't impact your disability payments. However, your receipt of sale proceeds could jeopardize your Medicaid eligibility. You should retain an attorney to help you with the sale and to set up a proper trust or other vehicle to deposit the sale proceeds and not affect Medicaid. don't ty to do this on your own.

Read more
Answered on 2/19/22, 4:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Indiana