Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

My children's father and I have 50/50 time and joint custody. He has moved them into his girlfriend's grandmother's 2 bedroom. My children do not have a room, sleep on couches, say he doesn't bathe them (they are 5 and 6, and he has them for up to 5 days at a time), he gices them wedgies, and when they "play fight" he hits them hard enough to knock the breath out of them. I can't affors an attorney to change the custody/parenting time arrangement. Would it be in the best interest of my children to call cps? And would that even help me?

Asked on 8/21/13, 6:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

1. A 50/50 arrangement is almost never a good idea. They would be better off in either home rather than splitting homes.

2. Talk to him first about what you have learned; if the children said this was going on at school, you would probably ask the teacher before reporting the teacher to CPS.

3. If not happy with his response and the behavior continues, you HAVE to find an attorney to help you. Even if that means a family loan or a second job for you, it is that important.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 7:09 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana