Legal Question in Family Law in Indiana

I have not received any child support from my ex-husband for the last 16 years. He was only ordered at the time of divorce to pay $50 a week and now owes well over $40,000. I didn't pursue it over the last several years for many reasons. Right after the divorce he was stalking and threatening my life and threatened to kidnap my son. Then things settled down but becasue I didn't want to put my son in the middle of anything and I could afford to take care of him myself, I never pursued getting the child support. He has given me minimal amounts of cash at times and I have recorded every penny of it since it didn't go through the county office. But this amount is no where near what he should have paid (he has given me maybe $3,000 over the last several years. He was also ordered to put just $10 a week in a savings account for my son which he never did either. Now my son just turned 17 and is ready to begin college. I need help paying for it. My ex has no job and an alcohol and drug problem and is telling me he can't really pay anything. I really want to do something to force him to pay something. But on the other hand, I feel that it is my fault for not holding him accountable all these years and also that it wouldn't do any good anyway because he obviously has nothing to give me without a job. Do you have any advice for me?

Asked on 8/21/13, 6:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Turn this over to the prosecutor and let them prosecute him criminally.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 7:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Indiana