Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

Property Damage

I had a car that I was trying to sell and it had a problem so I took it to a guy to work on the car. It took him about 3 weeks to get it finished. He let me know that is was still not running right so I went to look at it and it was not starting. I had it towed out of there and while looking at it more there was a lot of damage done to the engine and there were also things missing form the engine. I filed a police report and he told me that it would be considered criminal mischief and theft. I called today and now they are saying it is a civil matter and that their is nothing they can do except take it to small claims court. Here is my question, is it even going to worth trying to get anything out of this guy? I did not pay him because it was not fixed right and when I dropped it off it ran and now i can even start it. I am not paying someone who messed up my car so bad that I cant sell it now. What should I do?

Asked on 8/26/08, 2:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Samuel Hasler Samuel Hasler

Re: Property Damage

Hard to give you an answer to your question. You will have to balance paying court costs and then have to win the case and then work on collecting whatever the court gives you against what you are out already.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/08, 8:04 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana