Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Indiana

Hi, I own a rental house in Indiana and evidently a previous tenant had a car in their drive way with expired plates. I recently received a letter (a final notice) this was the first I have heard of it. (july 25th 2009) stating that the city is sueing me for $395.05 the amount owed by the tenant who owned the car because they have failed to pay the fine. They said I own the property so I am responsible. My wife called the city about this. They said they have sent several bills to the rental house address. We haven\'t received any of these. This seems extremely unfair to me. I would have never thought that it should be my responsibility to check their plates and make sure they are current. Do I have any legal rights or is trying to fight the city an expensive and loosing battle? Your help is much appreciated. Dennis

Asked on 7/28/09, 10:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Find a lawyer in your city. I don\'t know of any basis to do what you say the city is doing.

Read more
Answered on 7/31/09, 3:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Indiana