Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Indiana

I am trying to remove a man who is not paying rent from my house. He refuses to leave. Also I have a child which is his and he pays nothing for the child to live. Also his son has damaged my house, which he refuses to pay for. Also he mentally abuses me in front of my 2 year old child. I have told him so many times to leave over the past year and he will not leave. There was never any lease signed. I leave many times to stay the night with my parents due to his drunkenness and yelling at me.

Asked on 2/05/19, 1:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

You might not be following the correct procedures. This isn’t a do-it-yourself project. You have to write a letter to the tenant in certain format and using certain language, requesting vacation of the premises in 30 days. Then, if the tenant does not vacate, you can sue the person in court for eviction. You cannot just throw out the man or change the locks. It would be best if you had a lawyer handle this for you.

Read more
Answered on 2/07/19, 10:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Indiana