Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

My ins is denying benefits, they have no insurance

I was rear-ended May 1st.The people who hit me have no insurance. I am a Michigan resident. My ins paid lost wages for the month of May and are now denying benefits and lost wages, will not pay doctor bills. They say my injuries are not realated to the accident. I have been under my doc's care since the accident,he has me off work until Oct 2.I am doing physical therapy and going to see a specialist. Under my uninsured part of my policy, they are obligated to pay medical and lost wages.Why are they not paying my anymore? My doc has specified these injuries are realated to the accident. Do they just not want to pay out and are giving me the run around? My ins co is now saying they have to get a Bioengineer to look at the pictures of my car to see how the damage realates to my injuries. They say they don't believe the injuries could be realated to the accident.There was $1100 damage to my car, which they fixed. Do they have to pay at some point, why are they questioning my doc? He's a doctor or Orthopaedics.

Asked on 7/28/03, 3:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: My ins is denying benefits, they have no insurance

If you are a Michigan resident with a policy issued by an insurance company admitted in Michigan, your situation will be governed by Michigan law. So you should consult with a personal injury attorney in your local county. Call your county bar association for a referral. To answer your question, your uninsured motorist coverage, in Indiana, would be responsible for all your injuries. Even if you had some pre-existing condition, if the accident caused you to go back into treatment, your UIM should cover it. The denial of coverage could be an attempt to cheat you out of the coverage you paid for. Some insurance companies have a standard procedure to deny coverage on any possible ground hoping the claimant will lose courage and go away. So -- consult a local attorney and find out which government agency in Michigan will help consumers deal with insurance companies, and ask that agency for help. Don't let them scare you out of your rights. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 7/28/03, 4:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana