Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

petition to terminate guardianship

I was involved in a vehicular accident four years ago and a law suit followed in which we sued for medical and pain and suffering. I was entitled to $8,500.00 when I turned the age of eighteen. April 30th was my eighteenth birthday, but I am not positive of how to recieve the money. I know that it has something to do with a petition to terminate guardianship of funds, but my lawyer refuses to help me recieve the money without an additional $500 fee. I would like to know if there is anyway that I can take care of this matter myself without having to enlist the help of an attourney.

Asked on 5/06/04, 3:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Cook Dunn & Cook

Re: petition to terminate guardianship

What I suggest you do if you do not want to pay any more attorney fees is go to the clerk's office and ask to see a file of another minor who has recently turned 18 and has either had the guardianship terminated or is in the process of having it done. From that file you can get a copy of the petition to terminate a guardianship and hopefully use that as a template on how to structure your own.

I will add as a word of caution, that it is probably worth the $500 to have the attorney do it, and do not be surprised if the Court is not over friendly in you pursuing this matter yourself.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/04, 3:46 pm
C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: petition to terminate guardianship

Probate Court in my county (Marion) is very helpful to young people whose accounts have been blocked. So go to the judge who issued the order on your account, and ask him or her to release it. Bring picture ID and birth certificate. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 5/06/04, 4:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana