Legal Question in Personal Injury in Indiana

Rear ended by truck at stoplight.

While sitting at a stoplight a truck rearended me. I suffered whiplash and a dislocated hip. I was off work several weeks and went through 2.5 months of physical therapy. I am now ready to settle. About how much will I receive, and can I get reimbursed for my lost sick time?

Asked on 5/19/04, 12:33 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Cook Dunn & Cook

Re: Rear ended by truck at stoplight.

Your question as to how much you will be able to settle for your injuries cannot be answered by a mathematical formula as there are a lot of variables and factors that are involved in coming up with an "equitable" sum. Your second question regarding sick time reimbursement is easier to answer. If you did not work due to your injuries, and you did not get compensation through a sick pay plan through your employer, or a disability plan, then you would be able to recover lost wages. Also, if you had to use vacation time while you were convalescing, then the value of these days would be recoverable. However, if you were not working at the time you were home recovering, any recovery for your lost time would be part of the general recovery for pain and suffering from your injuries. My advice is to go see a personal/injury attorney and have him evaluate your case.

Read more
Answered on 5/20/04, 12:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Indiana