Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

My daughter and her boyfriend bought a house together about 2 years ago. The boyfriend moved out about 20 months ago and has never help to pay the household expenses, including the mortgage. Now he is talking about suing for half of the equity. Is there anything that we can do to stop this? We live in Indiana.

Asked on 2/28/12, 3:29 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

terrence rubino rubino ruman crosmer smith and sersic

you can't stop him from filing a lawsuit. if he does sue, hire a reputable lawyer in your area and defend it. he shouldn't get anything and it sounds more like he is trying to intimidate your daughter. i would be polite and ignore the threat. chances are that he won't be able to find a lawyer to represent him, probably doesn't have the money to hire one and there probably isn't any equity in the home. bear in mind, he lived there for 2 yrs and received the benefit of room and board compliments of your daughter.

Read more
Answered on 2/29/12, 7:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana