Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

I divorced from my wife in 2007, I quitclaimed off of the house but she has never refinanced the house to remove my name from the mortgage. Is there any way to get her to refinance or to get my name off of the mortgage. This still shows on my credit.

Asked on 4/19/10, 6:12 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Your decree will govern this. If it did not require attempts to refinance, you will be out of luck.

Read more
Answered on 4/24/10, 5:13 pm
Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

This should have been taken care of at the time of the divorce by having a clause in the settlement agreement or decree that required refinancing or the sale of the home within a set period of time. At this point, you ahve no legal recorse. However, if you truly want this off of your credit, you might contact her and motivate her financially by offering to pay for some of the charges if she would refinance the property.

Read more
Answered on 4/25/10, 5:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana