Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Indiana

This is my second marriage and I moved into my current husband's house and have put a lot of money into redoing it. It is paid for. My problem is my name is not on the title of the house and I'm worried if something would happen to him I would be kicked out by his 2 grown boys. I have 2 grown girls also. What should I do?

Asked on 1/28/22, 9:26 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

Sit down and talk to your husband about this. He could add you to the deed, give you a transfer upon death deed, a life estate, or probably several other solutions exist. Once you and your husband have decided what you would like to do, talk to an attorney. There is nothing you can MAKE him do beyond filing for divorce and looking to get your share in the equity.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/22, 12:23 pm
Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

Your fears are justified. You might have some partial right to the house upon your husband’s death, but it isn’t great. So, to protect yourself, you should be put onto the title to the home, or alternatively, to have the house deeded o that you have a life estate o live there for the rest of your years.

Read more
Answered on 1/28/22, 4:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Indiana