Legal Question in Social Security Law in Indiana

Adoption and Social Security Numbers

I am an adoptee. I am currently in the process of acquiring my original birth certificate.

Is it possible, when I get my original birth certificate, that I can change my name to the original name listed on the birth certificate and change my social security number with my original name?

Thank you!

Asked on 1/24/08, 12:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Adoption and Social Security Numbers

You are not allowed two social security numbers. You may, however, change your name and use your SSN, provided you have notified the Social Security Administration. There is a simple process for this. Make sure you go through the process, or you will be tripped up by various provisions of the Homeland Security laws and regulations. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/08, 3:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Indiana