Legal Question in Social Security Law in Indiana


At the time my husband turned 65 years old, he was in prison. He has been released and if presently receiving social security benefits and part ''A'' medicare. He was denied part ''B'' until July, '08, and a 10% penalty for each year he did

not apply. This means he can't get other insurance. He's 71 and we can't afford the penalty. Did the worker at social security overlook

something to get Part ''B'' without penalty?

Asked on 9/03/07, 8:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

C. David DuMond Law Offices of David DuMond

Re: Medicare

The social security worker is technically correct, so you need to contact your local U.S. Congressional Representative for assistance in getting a waiver. I have had clients who had good results with that route (though their Rep was a Democrat in California, if that makes a difference.) If the Medicare part B doesn't become affordable, your husband may be able to qualify for Medicaid. Social Security office can point you in the right direction for that. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/07, 8:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Indiana