Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

My 3 childrens grandmother died without a will. Her house is valued at over $100,000 and she had life insurance and vehicles, etc. She had 2 daughters and 1 deceased son, my 3 childrens father. My children were never notified of her passing until several months later. Nothing has ever went to probate and they won't give my children information other than they want them to sign over their rights to her estate. My children can't get an attorney in this state to take the case. I went to the court house to try and file probate or inherentance papers, but the lady said that only an attorney can file. My children has asked the aunt to give them a list of everything she had but she has not as of yet. They have asked for the 2nd aunt's phone number but the 1st aunt won't give it to them. This has been going on for a year now and my children aren't getting anywhere. I'm sorry this is so long.

Question: What can my children do to protect their rights and get a list of all her possessions, etc. There aunt is stretching everything out and promising she will have the bank to fax the bank statements to them but they still haven't gotten anything. Their aunt got an attorney to draw up the papers for my children to sign giving up their rights to their grandmothers estate, but the attorney sent them a letter saying that he didn't want to represent them or have anything to do with this case. He did tell my children they have 1/3 interest in her house and all of her possessions and that they can go to the house and go in and check it out themselves. Supposedily the grandmother's truck was given to one of the other grandchildren and don't know about her RV or car.

Thank you

Asked on 10/12/11, 6:53 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Jay Rigdon Rockhill Pinnick LLP

I don't believe that you can not find an attorney who will discuss this with your children. Suggest they call the local bar for a referral.

Read more
Answered on 10/13/11, 5:25 pm
Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

It would be very difficult for you to obtain all of the information that you need by yourself or to fully know what rights you have. To have an attorney look into the matter briefly for you should not be expensive.

Read more
Answered on 10/14/11, 5:28 pm
Voyle A. Glover Attorney at Law

If they are willing to drive up to Lake County, I'll be happy to speak with them. But, frankly, I would think that getting a lawyer down there would relatively easy, and cheaper. You're close enough to Terre Haute, Bloomington and Indianapolis that getting a lawyer should not be that difficult.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/11, 2:53 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana