Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

I have aquestion about Estate administration. My sister is ill with cancer. I need to know if I can be her administrator of estate or Power of attorney. I live in Kentucky, she lives in Indiana. Does the law in Indiana say that y9ou have to be residing in the State of Indiana.?

Asked on 4/10/11, 4:43 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Burton Padove Indiana and Illinois Lawyer, Burton A. Padove

There is no such restriction. Although, from a practical standpoint, if you live far from her, you may have some difficulty conducting estate business and/or using the power(s) of attorney.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/11, 5:14 pm
Voyle A. Glover Attorney at Law

It can be difficult being an Attorney in Fact (Power of Attorney) for someone in another state. No law against it, but it can pose some problems. If you become her Executrix, her Personal Representative, then depending on some things, there might be a requirement of the posting of a bond. Definitely see a lawyer in Indiana to get clarification and guidance as to what is best to do.

Read more
Answered on 4/11/11, 9:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana