Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Indiana

Our father died two weeks ago. No will. He owns his home (tax assessment says is worth 80K) There is a 10K life insurance policy that we will use to pay the remaining amount owed for new roof (aprox 5K). We would like to file ourselves in order for one sibling to be appointed administrator(?). There is no retirement or pension and the estate seems simple enough. Can we just file ourselves? What forms? No forms are listed anywhere and calls to the court have given "we aren't allowed to advise you". We aren't looking for legal advise from the court; only for correct forms in order to file ourselves and avoid paying a 6% fee. Aren't these public information?Perhaps it IS more complicated. Perhaps it isn't. if it is NOT, then $5,000 (6%) is too much when the 4 children (who get along and aren't arguing over anything) will not inherit much anyway after paying a real estate agent as well.... thank you for any help!

Asked on 2/11/18, 6:19 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kenneth Wilk Rubino Ruman Crosmer & Polen

You need a lawyer's help. Good luck to you if you think that you can do this as a do-it-yourself home improvement project. If the "estate seems simple enough" you shouldn't need to have to ask these questions.

Read more
Answered on 2/11/18, 10:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Indiana