Legal Question in Administrative Law in Iowa

I should start off by saying that I have never been married and I'm currently going through a hard time with the father of my son. My son father's ex girlfriend, a long with multiple people have texted me stating that the father has been using drugs (he has had a past with smoking pot) they also brought up how he would slap my 2 year old in the mouth and stated that if needed too that they would appear in court. His ex said she took care of all my childs necessitys, and took care of him while his dad did not took care of him, she also mentioned that he talked about running of with him and not returning him (id print out all conversations just to have the documentation) now I'm not heartless I do want him to be in his son life I just would prefer to have supervised visits just to insure my child's safety.

My son use to love going over there but something had to change, as time went on my child's behavior towards his father changed. When he would go over to his dads house my son would scream and his dad had to pull him off of me.

I don't allow him to see him now just because I had to apply for childsupport and he pretty much stated that he wasn't the dad but paternity test says otherwise. After 2/3 months now he's interested in seeing him again. Which is fine but I'd rather have something written in paper, so he can't just run off with our son and because of the concern of my son is safe.

I did allow my son to go over there every other weekend before this all happend but we didn't have a legal document set up for visitations.

I just wanted to know you're opinion about all this situation and what should my next steps be. Thank you

Asked on 5/10/17, 9:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

I think you need the services of a family counselor rather than a lawyer. We're good at picking winners and losers but not so good at resolving conflicts and problems such as you describe. The first thing you need is an attorney to get you a custody and support order in place.

Read more
Answered on 5/10/17, 10:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Administrative Law questions and answers in Iowa