Legal Question in Criminal Law in Iowa

I was charged with theft in the fifth degree in Iowa, a simple misdemeanor. I am barely 18 and this is my first offense. I have a court date and want advice on how to keep the charges for going on my record.

Asked on 10/19/18, 6:15 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

Get yourself an attorney and see what you can do to get this dismissed. Barring that you may be eligible for a deferred judgment.

Read more
Answered on 10/19/18, 9:49 pm
Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

I've thought about this overnight. The best you will be able to do is to get a deferred judgment and complete probation. Then you stand a pretty good chance of getting it expunged. Needless to say expungement is a difficult process in Iowa. Here is a site that presents a more detailed picture of what you are up against.

Best of luck to you.

Read more
Answered on 10/20/18, 7:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Iowa