Legal Question in Criminal Law in Iowa


me n husband opened a savings acct for our 14yr old daughter my name not on the acct recently with my daughters permission i filled out n signed her name on withdrawl slip and took $from the acct the banks pressing charges on me for forgery my husband told bank its ok even though bank would have to pay him back cause they never i.d me he said if didnt press charges they didnt have to pay him back the $they said regardless they have me on tape so there getting me for forgery can they do this since my husband&daughter ok it or am i screwed?how much time am i looking at if convicted?

Asked on 3/30/07, 3:10 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

Re: forgery

What you're looking at penalty wise depends on how much money is involved if it is charged as theft, but forgery is a class D felony which can earn a person 5 years in prison. I do not understand why you would go to the trouble of getting her to agree to you withdrawing money, then fake her signature on a withdrawal slip if she wanted you to have the money.

The police will investigate and the county attorney will charge you. The bank has nothing to say about that. I suggest you hire a competent criminal defense attorney.

Read more
Answered on 3/30/07, 9:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Iowa