Legal Question in Criminal Law in Iowa

Is it too late to dismiss the charge and expunge the records of a deferred judgement on a shoplifting case in Iowa? I received the deferred judgement almost two years ago.

Asked on 2/24/13, 5:16 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Todd Miler Miler Law Firm

The clerk of court should've already expunged it if you successfully completed probation, but if they have not I'd recommend calling the clerk's office and asking them to expunge.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/13, 6:06 am

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

I agree with brother Miler. You may have to have your attorney give them a gentle reminder. In addition, bear in mind that the DCI takes a contrary view of record retention and it will have no effect on what is in the NCIC. The practical outcome of this is that certain employers (law enforcement, social services) have access to NCIC records. In addition, in applying for a job employers may ask your permission to access DCI records. It's far better to check this out yourself and arm yourself with knowledge so that you know what you're in for. You can, however answer that you have never been convicted of this offense.

Read more
Answered on 2/24/13, 6:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Iowa