Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa


Do I need to have a lawyer for a divorce if there are no children and both parties agree on everything?

Asked on 11/30/98, 2:48 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Jes Beard Jes Beard, Attorney at Law

Re: Divorce

I'm only licensed in Tennessee, so while I believe my answer would apply to other states, I can only be certain it applies here.

No. You do not have to have an attorney... but you also do not HAVE to have an attorney if you are charged with murder, nor do you have to have a dentist to do root canal work. You can ALWAYS do these things yourself.

But the risk of doing something wrong is fairly serious.

You could even end up still married.

It should cost considerably less than $500 to get a divorce when both of you agree on everything and there are no children... but failing to get an attorney could cost you much, much more later.

Jes Beard

Jes Beard, Attorney at Law

737 Market St., Suite 601

Read more
Answered on 1/15/99, 6:35 am

Mark Sullivan Mark R. Sullivan - Attorney at Law

Re: Divorce

You probably don't need a lawyer, unless you want to make sure it's done right. There was old English lawyer who, at his favorite pub, daily drank a toast to those who saved money by not using a lawyer. He toasted the fact that he would make ten times the amount he would have charged originally by straightening out the mess later. The money you spend now on a lawyer will save you plenty later.

Mark Sullivan

Mark R. Sullivan - Attorney at Law

1204 1st Ave. E, Ste. A

Read more
Answered on 1/15/99, 10:41 am
Alan Pransky Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

Re: Divorce

A lawyer is like an insurance policy. If you have no claims for the year, you may feel like you have

wasted your money. However, if disaster occurs, you will glad you bought the policy. In a divorce, a

lawyer should be able to anticipate more problems than you can. In the years to come, the separation

agreement will determine your relationship with your spouse. There are some circumstances that could

occur even though there are no children. At a minimum, I suggest you talk to a lawyer. Many lawyers

will meet with you once without charging you.

Alan Pransky

Law Office of Alan J. Pransky

20 Eastbrook Road

Read more
Answered on 1/18/99, 8:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa