Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

If someone files a rule to show cause in iowa, and iowa has jurisdiction, however, the respondent and child live in Florida for the last 7 months, how can iowa attorney serve respondent?

Asked on 6/20/13, 10:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

They could hire a process server in Florida, or contact the sheriff in that particular county to effect legally sufficient service. If the person cannot be found, service by publication is allowed for. Although it is doubtful that a person in Florida would do more than thumb their nose at the prospect of appearing, the filing party could gain a default. On the other hand the person in Florida might be able to appear at the hearing telephonically.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/13, 5:44 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa