Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

Can a judge grant post secondary subsidy to the non custodial parent if they are refusing to apply for federal financial aid?

Asked on 3/12/18, 9:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

When considering whether to award the subsidy under 598.21F(2)(b) the court will determine the amount the child may reasonably be expected to contribute, including the child's financial resources, including but not limited to the availability of financial aid, whether in the form of scholarships, grants, or student loans and the ability of the child to earn income while attending school.

That suggests that the availability of financial aid will be part of the calculus.

Read more
Answered on 3/13/18, 7:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa