Legal Question in Employment Law in Iowa


I filed a sexual harrassment complaint with my employer concerning another female employee. The company did not do a complete investigation, I have written proof of this, and I was fired for filing a false document (my complaint has merit, I have letters from other employees verifing it). I had previously been on a last chance notice for filing a false document, which I did not do, but I had to sign it to get my job back. Can the employer legally fire me for that even if it was under protected conduct? The company lost all their unemployment appeals, and they withdrew from their last appeal attempt before an ALJ.


Asked on 1/11/06, 12:08 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Patrick Stiehm Stiehm Law Office

Re: Retaliation?

Generally speaking, under federal law, an employer may not retaliate against an employee for attempting to enforce his or her rights with respect to prohibited acts including sexual harassment. What you describe sounds like retaliation. You need to discuss this further with an attorney who is knowledgeable in the area of employment law. If you want to discuss this with me, you may call at no cost and without obligation and I will be happy to spend a few moments with you to more clearly understand what happened and perhaps help clarify your position further. You can then decide wheather or not you want to pursue the matter further.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/06, 9:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Iowa