Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Iowa

I have a man that lives in a small house of mine. He pays rent in cash (but doesn't pay all of it, if not at all). He doesn't have a lease and and has been living there over a year. I just want him out, so can i just have a cop kick him out or do I actually have to evict him. Also at what point can i just pack his stuff up and clear out the house or clear it out without giving anything back. I live in IA.

Asked on 7/13/13, 1:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

This person is a holdover tenant. You must go through the eviction process and you cannot enlist the police in an unlawful action such as you propose. You cannot dispose of his property as you wish. I'd suggest renting a storage locker for a month and sending him the key.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/13, 2:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Iowa