Legal Question in Tax Law in Iowa

my wife and I were separated when I caught her cheating. She moved out of the house we owned and established her own residency. During this time, nearly a year, she paid nothing to the mortgage, bills etc. At tax time she filed separately and claimed both my son and the house. I got stuck with IRS bills over $4,000. on top of that she cleaned out the account I had to pay taxes. how can she get away with claiming the house on her taxes when she doesn't live there nor pay any bills.

Asked on 10/08/13, 3:14 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

Are you currently divorced? Did you see an attorney promptly when she moved out to make sure she didn't waste the marital assets? If you did not you may not be able to recover anything.

Read more
Answered on 10/10/13, 9:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Iowa