Legal Question in Traffic Law in Iowa

My Mother and little Nephew were killed in a var accident last August. A man driving a 40 ft motor home ran a stop sign and T-Boned them. My Niece now has brain damage and is blind in one eye.

The State police only charged the man with running a stop sign, and the county attorney's added Wreckless driving and Driving on the wrong side of the road. (Which made the state police Mad).

Out of a 400 page report only 12 pages were manesable in court because of police flaws.

What can we do to bring this to light?

The county swept it under the rug.

Asked on 9/12/16, 11:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

The estate has the right to bring suit against the driver of the motor home. Were there fatalities? If there were, perhaps the charges should have been elevated to vehicular homicide. I would think that the time frame is either lapsed or close to it because in Iowa a criminal case must be brought to trial in one year and this happened in August 2015 if it is the case I'm thinking about. You can google "Iowa speedy trial" and read up on it.

Read more
Answered on 9/13/16, 6:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Iowa