Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

My only living parent has recently died. I had power of attorney and most all of her assets were already in my name. I'm told that once the parent dies, the power of attorney is no longer valid. I don't think there is a will. How do I continue her affairs?

Asked on 6/23/10, 10:45 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keenan Post Post Warren Lindstrom, LLP

Sorry for your loss. Your information and understanding is correct. Your authority under the POA did end when your mother passed. Those assets that you either owned jointly with your mother or that you are the named beneficiary on will pose no problem, you will simply need to present a death certificate and collect and manage the assets as you deem necessary. The only assets you will have a problem with are those titled in your mother's individual name with no named beneficiary and that are not jointly owned. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any additional questions.

Keenan Post

Read more
Answered on 6/23/10, 2:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas