Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kansas

Son's Debt posted On Father's Record

Father and son share same name..except son has middle nmae..father does not. Son moved to Kansas and contracted for gas service at residence. Son left w/o paying bill. Father is attempting to buy a home, has spoken to person at gas BOTH social sercurity numbers. Father has never been to Kansas, but now gas company is saying father is primary on the gas contract. Underwriters want bill cleared up..gas company is lying..but won't back down. How or what can be done about this?

Asked on 8/19/03, 5:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Lee Morgan Morgan & Morgan

Re: Son's Debt posted On Father's Record

There are federal statutes designed to protect consumers from false credit reporting. The Fair Credit Reporting Act allows you to sue an entity who intentionally gives wrong credit reporting information. Also, Georgia is one of the few states that will allow you to sue under a defamation theory (although there may be jurisdiction problems in bringing a Kansas company into a Georgia court).

Because the federal law allows attorney fees for a successful plaintiff, I would suggest that you consult with an attorney and see if he/she will help you with your claim for only the court awarded attorny fees.

DISCLAIMER: It is not possible to give specific legal advice based on the limited information in your query. Information in our response should be considered general information only and NOT advice specific to your situation. Furthermore, no attorney client relationship is intended to be created by this correspondence. You are not a client of Morgan & Morgan Attorneys at Law, P.C. unless and until we specifically agree to represent you and the appropriate fee contract has been signed.

You should not rely on this information alone in deciding your course of action. We recommend that you speak to an attorney of your choice and seek specific advice and representation.

Morgan & Morgan Attorneys at Law, P.C is licensed to practice law in the state of Georgia only. The general information contained in our response is based on Georgia law. If you or another party to your dispute resides in another state, the information provided may not be applicable.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/03, 9:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kansas