Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Kansas

I have two issues - !st would it be wise for me to file bankruptcy? Citibank has filed suit against me. I am making payments. My ex-husband has filed chapter 13 and is behind in child support. What do I do?

Asked on 11/20/10, 3:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Mack Mack & Associates, LLC

Your questions are important. First I will address whether or not you should declare bankruptcy. Deciding whether or not to declare bankruptcy is a decision that should be carefully considered. That said, if financial circumstances have become severe enough, bankruptcy may very well be your best option. I would need some additional information to help you determine whether or not bankruptcy is right for you.

As far as your ex-husband being behind in child support, there may be options that you can pursue to compel him to pay what he owes, such as filing a document often referred to as a Motion to Compel. The document title is pretty self explanatory. It would bring your ex-husband's non-compliance with the order to pay child support payments to the courts attention and ask the court to make your ex-husband comply with the payments.

My primary area of focus is bankruptcy law but I also handle a fair amount of family law. I would be happy to give you a FREE consultation on both issues. Our home office is based out of Topeka, but I actively practice in Kansas City. If you would be interested in speaking more about your situation please call me at (785)274-9040 or email me at [email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/25/10, 11:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Kansas