Legal Question in Consumer Law in Kansas

We are having service done on our vehicle, the original quote to fix was $1,500.00 completed which we agreed to. We later were told it was going to cost an additional $300.00 which upset me but we agreed to. Now when service is all done they tell me it is going to be another $437.72 because they had to do other stuff. We did not agree to other stuff done to my car, and he did not even specify what the other stuff was. So bottom line is what started out as a $1,500.00 bill, the total is now $2,237.72.

My car is only worth about $3,000.00 I would never have even approved that much money spent on it. I feel that I should only have to pay the $1,800.00, because I never approved the other work that was done to it. What can I legally do.

Asked on 11/30/11, 8:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You can sue without picking up your car, or pay under protest and then sue. You are assuming that you never gave them authority to fix other stuff, but you may not have read everythign you signed when you initially took the car in for repair. Read all this documents carefully. You shoudl probably ask the repair shop if they are bonded,a dn with whom. Yu may also want to consutl with teh Attorney Geenral's office at teh State capitol, who may include you in future action with this repair shop, or use you as a reason to begin investigation. You may also want to call the District attorney the county where the shop is located. you might also hire an attorney to write to the repair shop for you, and/or negotiate a resolution.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 12/02/11, 4:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in Kansas