Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kansas

Law suit filed on Medical Bill

I am being sued by a medical provider for non-payment after I was grossly overcharged for a mammogram and sonogram. My insurance co. paid 80% of U & C and I expected to pay the 20%. The provider said they could charge what ever they wanted and didn't follow U & C. I told them I would pay the 20% and they said no, I owed the full amount. I did not pay anything and they have filed suit. I entered a deny plea and want to know if I can argue that I was overcharged and say I am willing to pay the 20% amount. I talked with the plantiff attorney and he said since I entered the ''deny'' plea it would have to go to trial. Do I have any options here? Thank you.

Asked on 2/26/04, 5:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Kip Johnson Attorney at Law

Re: Law suit filed on Medical Bill

You will probably have to plead your case to the judge. The Plaintiff must still prove that the cost of their services or reasonable and within standard norms. You have good evidence that the price of their services are not within standard norms because the insurance company said that they were too high for that type of service. Make sure you have information from your insurance company to show what they pay for that procedure. I don't know how much they are suing you for, but to make sure you are adequately represented, you should contact an attorney. You could be denied the right to present evidence if you do not follow the rules of evidence set forth by statute.

Read more
Answered on 3/04/04, 7:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kansas