Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kansas

Will you go to jail if found contempt for not paying a court ordered debt?

Asked on 6/05/13, 10:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

We no longer have anything akin to debtor's prison. So, not paying a civil judgment will not put you in jail. There are a few exceptions, that mostly involve family law. If you have failed to pay Court ordered child or spousal support, you can be jailed for Contempt. It is up to the direction of the Judge. If the other side has a lawyer, and you do not, you're probably more likely to do jail time for an unexplained arrearage. if you are i'm jeopardy of this happening to you, I recommend that you consult directly with an attorney in your area. Many attorneys offer a free or low cost initial consultation. Find one, and provide then the facts and documents that you couldn't here.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 7:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kansas