Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kansas

i have not been arrested or charged with a crime but received a paper in the mail with a court date on it to appear in the matter of the state vs. myself. is this the proper way that this should take place? are there steps that i can or should take before going?

Asked on 1/22/10, 7:10 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Brown The Law Offices of David J. Brown, LC

For certain misdemeanor and traffic offenses, notification by mail is common. You should not ignore this matter. You should contact an attorney before your court date to prepare for the hearing. The attorney can investigate and determine the nature of the charges against you, can advise you of the possible penalties and can also help you prepare a defense to the charge.By the way, if I understand your question correctly, you have been charged with a crime. There could be serious ramifications if you do not appear in court on the date stated in the papers you received.

Read more
Answered on 1/27/10, 7:27 am

Sean Santoro Santoro Law Office

If you have been sent a notice to appear with the caption "State v Myself", you have been charged with a crime. Notification by mail is common with misdemeanor charges. You must appear, either solo or with an attorney. I would suggest you contact an attorney. Many lawyers offer a free initial consultation, so you can at least find out what the charge is and what your options are. Feel free to contact me if you want to discuss possible options.

Sean Santoro/Licensed in KS and MO

Read more
Answered on 1/27/10, 8:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kansas