Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Getting Custody

My husband and I are trying to gain custody of his son. However we do not have $1500 upfront for a lawyer and legal aid will not help us because of a conflict of interest. We are trying to do this ourselves but it is impossible to find the proper documents in our county. This child really needs to be out of his mother's care. She doesn't live in the same place for more than a couple of months, her utilities are frequently disconnected and he is doing poorly in school. He is currently in our household, but only at her whim as they were never married and a custody order was never established although my husband pays child support. What can we do?

Asked on 7/09/07, 2:57 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rian Ankerholz Ankerholz and Smith

Re: Getting Custody

If you absolutely cannot afford an attorney, you should contact SRS to request an investigation of the child's living arrangements. The child's father needs to file a paternity action and request a Parenting Plan be put in place. I don't know of any free stock of court documents that will adequately do the job.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/07, 3:15 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas