Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Can you point me in a direction to any secondary materials, statutes, case law, etc. that "accurately" describes the following issue?--I live in Kansas and my wife is the primary breadwinner for our entire 4 (5 in October) years of marriage. And when I mean primary, she is the sole breadwinner. We were both in the Navy-she was an air traffic controller, I was an "electrician"-and she used her experience to get a good paying job, while I had to go back to college and earn a career. I have been in school full time for the last 4 years and am currently in law school. She agreed to provide this support so I could get through law school. I am on my second year and we are now heading for divorce. Have not taken family law, so I am a fish out of water. To give you an idea: she cheated on me with my best friend, in my house, within the vicinity of my son; she has also racked up enormous personal debt behind my back (my name not on it, she was hiding the debt) in excess of 10 grand. Since we have separated, she removed my name from the joint checking account (it was hers to begin with, we just decided to put my name on her checking account, rather than put it on mine), which is legal. But she now gives me an "allowance", while I know for certain she is still racking up excessive debt while I am essentially living in poverty. I have no clue how she spends her money and she refuses to allow me to see any financial information because she thinks it is "her money". I have been denied money when she can't afford it because she says she is "saving her money" and can't touch the money in savings, even though I can't get to class because I need a new tire on my car (bullshit, I know, but we aren't dealing with a rational individual). I am afraid of what the consequences may be for me if I have no capacity to view our marital financial situation and she ends up making a catastrophic financial decision that screws me and my son. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance and never get married (joking, mostly).

Asked on 7/24/16, 5:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Like med students that won't go to the doctor 1Ls and 2Ls sre sometimes too reluctant to walk into a lawyer's office. If yiur wife has been the sole breadwinner, than your attorney may be able to have her pay your legal fees. But, if you aren't the first to file, the chances of that happening may diminish.

Hopefully you two will reconcile. Studying law and equity can change people, like comvat service. I had classmates that got divorced during law school. I don't kniw any that think it was good in the long run. Fir niw, your mistress is the law. Can you honestly say that you've been just as attentive to your wife as you were before you started law school? Can you firguve and reapir yiur famiky? If not, either get in front of a live family law attorney, or use your County's pro se divorce forms soon. With an attorney you'll get to see the financial records sooner. Either way, Form 14 will need to be completed, showing the assets and debts you each have.

You didn't really stste what issye you wanted secondary material or cade law on. Do, can't duggest any specifics. Perhaps it's time that you introduce yourself to the Family instructor at your school. . Perhaps they can suggest materials.

Good luck

Don't be a lawyer, if you want to make money. (Joking a little)

Read more
Answered on 7/25/16, 10:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas