Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

srs took my children

My children were left with my husband while I went to a friends. He dozed off and the three small children ( 2 of them his) unlocked the door, and went to the fenced in play ground area in our apartment complex with the 2 neighbor kids. Their cousin was watching them all from a window. The landlord of t he apartments went to the playground and took the neighbor kids to their apartment and told their cousin to keep them inside. She then returned to her office and called the police for our children being there unattended. The police took my children into protective custody and temporarily released them to my in-laws they said until a court date was made and executed. The authorities did not even attempt to contact me or notify me of waht was going on. Nor was I given the option to have my children released to me despite the fact that I was not involved in the incident and that one of the children is not my husbands bio. child. SHould I have been notified and should the children have been released to me before anyone else? SHould I have atleast been questioned or anything? And how s hould I go about getting m,y children back? I DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!!

Asked on 6/28/07, 7:50 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rian Ankerholz Ankerholz and Smith

Re: srs took my children

You need to contact an attorney and have the attorney contact SRS. If the children are not returned voluntarily, you and the attorney can attend a Child in Need of Care hearing and contest the out-of-home placement. If you have no history of child neglect, you should be able to get the children back, possibly subject to some follow-ups by SRS.

Read more
Answered on 6/28/07, 10:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas