Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Kansas

My husband and I are living in his former employers home rent free per verbal agreement. When we moved in around the first of January, he told us we could stay 1 year. Around the end of May, he told us he needed the house back so we had to move by July 1. Since that time he has been harassing us. He calls often, comes by and gets into the garage and shows up with no notice, and today I called to pay our water bill, and found out he had us scheduled for disconnect for June 28. The water is in my husbands name. Do we have any legal rights as tenants if we are living rent free with no contract?

Asked on 6/20/13, 7:32 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

You have recourse as to the improper eviction. Unfortunately, to claim it, you may have to admit that you owe double the fair market rent from the day he told you to leave. Rather than having a judge say that the landowner has you deduct a hundred dollars from the several hundred you admit you owe, it might be easier to move prior to June 28, or negotiate a lease with him.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 6/20/13, 1:02 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Kansas