Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Kansas

My husband and I are selling our house in Leawood Kansas. we received an offer on the house yesterday. The buyers offered full asking price. My husband and I signed the contract. It wasn't until today that we did some "research "and discovered that the buyer is an ex convict. he was convicted of two counts of indecent liberties with a child in 1990. He served nine years in prison. I understand that is in the past, but he is still a convicted felon. do we have any rights as sellers in wanting to cancel the contract? We live in an extremely upscale neighborhood, and do not feel comfortable with someone like that buying our house, or moving into the neighborhood. Is there anything we can do at this point? thank you.

Asked on 2/08/15, 6:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Nearly every contract can be broken. If the sales contract included a morals clause, yo may be able to cancel the contract without penalty. If not, you may have to pay the other party to not buy your house. You could negotiate that amount on your own or through an attorney.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 2/09/15, 4:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Kansas