Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

I have been residing with a roommate for the past four months. I have been paying my rent. Now she wants to kick me out for quote unquote not paying my rent. Also because i did not help her with setting up her bedroom for new furniture. Can she kick me out for those reasons.

Asked on 5/23/10, 5:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

If you have established this palce as yoru residence, and after four months it sounds like you may have, then the police are nto likely to physically remove you unless there has been violence. However, unless you can prove aleashold interest, yoru roommate might be able to evict you. This process takes a little while though. If you have been paying rent to the roomate each month, then the court will treat you as month to month sublet tenent. Teh Petiton to evict you would be treated as a notice to vacate within thirty days. Until you obtain awritten lease that says you are renting your space for more than a month, you may not be able to prevent being evicted, even if you have been making regualr rent payments.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 5/25/10, 11:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas