Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

MY sister passed away August 31st 2009. She left everything to me in a will. Which all she has is a cancer policy worth about $12,600.00 which will pay for the funeral and head stone along with a few little bills. The cancer insurance said I need a small estate affidavit to get the insurance check in my name.

What steps to I need to take


Judy brunkow

[email protected]

Asked on 1/11/10, 2:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keenan Post Post Warren Lindstrom, LLP

You are referring to an Affidavit for Small Estates which is very simple. In that Affidavit you have to represent that all debts of the decedent have been, or will be, paid. So, if the cancer policy will not cover all known bills, you cannot make such a representation. There is another proceeding that would probably work better and that would potentially avoid the need to pay the bills other than the funeral bill. Please consult an attorney to discuss in detail. Best of luck in this difficult situation.

Read more
Answered on 1/17/10, 10:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas