Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Kansas

My Uncle's estate (KS) has gone through probate and the waiting period to file claims has expired. His house is not yet sold. Do we still need to retain an attorney? Can the representative disburse the funds when the house sells without an attorney involved? To close the estate do we have to have an attorney or can we just file the final estate income tax forms?

Asked on 8/18/10, 5:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith

Your questions leave out the obvious. "if no one complains or contests what we do?" All of your solutions are feasible if if nobody contests the outcome. If anyone feels cheaed, then the Pro Se actors could be held persoanlly liable for the losses the person, governmental entity, or company was supposedly cheated out of, plus possibly some consequential damages. Many people disperse estate assets Pro Se, some have to pay out to others more than what they got, because they did it wrong. Obviously, you are nto allowed enough space here to provide enough facts for anyone to tell you if an attornehy is needed. You wil have to assess your risks and ability to pay others, before making that decision.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 8/23/10, 9:53 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Kansas