Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

my husband and i split up he keept our home our divorce is in the process but not complet yet my name is still on the home he had agreed to remove it but never did and now the home is been fourclosed on is there any way i can get my name off the home are exzimped from what is owed on the home i do not work he has a grate job there was no reason for him to lose the home he has no other bill at all not even utliteys i other wise have rent and utliteys where i reside at now we also have 3 kids 2 5 and 6 wich i have full time and i am a student so is there any thing i can do about this?

Asked on 8/13/10, 2:15 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

If your divorce is still in litigation, do you have representation in your divorce action? This is certainly a situation you need to discuss with your counsel. If you do not have counsel, you need to contact Legal Aid or your local bar association about pro bono services. Since you are a student, it is possible your college or university has resources to assist you as well.

Often times in a divorce, the court will order specific relief, such as possession of the marital home to one party, all bills paid by one party, etc. It is possible your husband is in contempt of a court order if he has been ordered to pay the mortgage, or even ordered to refinance the mortgage. If so, you could certainly file a motion for contempt against your husband for failure to pay. Also, he should indemnify you in the foreclosure action for any judgment, and you should seek counsel to file an answer on your behalf as well.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/10, 7:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky