Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky


Two years ago I paid a settlement to HSBC Auto Finance. The original amt was 13895.39 but they agreed to a settlement of 9131.20. They even faxed me a letter saying they agreed to this amt. and to release me from all responsibilities in regard to this debt. Now they are trying to get a judgement against me and sent me a form asking me all kinds of very personal financial information. How should I handle this or appeal this judgement?

Asked on 5/21/09, 1:05 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

Re: Judgement

If in fact you paid this amount in the time period HSBC requested and at the amount requested, HSBC may be in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and if they reviewed your credit report, they may be in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You need to check your credit reports and contact an attorney as you may have a claim against HSBC.

Read more
Answered on 5/21/09, 8:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky