Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Kentucky

If I marry a man who owes back child support and restitution from a previous criminal case, can I be held responsible to repay these debts in the future? Can anyone sue me and take my business or personal assets to repay these debts?

Asked on 5/17/11, 12:10 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

No, not if he isn't an "owner" of those assets. However, I would encourage you to reconsider marrying an individual with that kind of baggage, at least until he has his life straightened out and his obligations repaid. It isn't about the money, it's about the instability of such an individual. If you go forward with the marriage, at least get a prenup, since you have assets.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/11, 12:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Kentucky