Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

KY Consensual Sex...???

I have a friend of a friend of a friend - that knows of a young man who is now 18 yrs old and his ex-girlfriend is 16 yrs old. When they first started dating he was 17 and she was 15. It has come out that before she turned 16 she ended up pregnant. In the state of KY the consensual age for sex is 16, but being she got pregnant before 16 - is he at risk for getting into trouble? I have been researching for two days to try to get an answer, but haven’t been able to find anything. To my understanding, the parents of the girl were fully aware of them having sex and even took him on their family vacations out of state and have allowed him to spend the night at their house. To me, her parents are SO wrong for knowingly allowing them to have sex. KY is a Commonwealth State can the state draw up charges against him if they choose - what can he do - or where can I go to find answers to this? She also told me that if he does not sign over his rights to the baby because they have broken up that her parents are going to file charges against him. They have done nothing at this time, but from what my friend told me this young man is an emotional wreck. I told her I would do some research online –then I found your website. THANKS - Jen

Asked on 11/14/08, 5:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas McAdam Thomas A. McAdam, III, Attorney

Re: KY Consensual Sex...???

If the girl was 15 and the boy 17 when she became pregnant, the boy is not guilty of statutory rape in Kentucky. The legal age of consent is 14 if the other party is 17 or younger; and 16 if the other party is 18 or older.

Your "friend of a friend of a friend" is best advised to seek the services of a competent Kentucky attorney. He can get a referral to a criminal law specialist from the Kentucky Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, at

[email protected] .

Additionally, he can telephone his local bar association for a referral, or can find a good lawyer on-line at the Kentucky Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service:

Good luck!

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 11/14/08, 6:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky