Legal Question in Criminal Law in Kentucky

If you have successfully completed the terms of your probation (all fines and restitution are payed and all other termsare fulfilled), does the state of KY have the ability to extend it because the person you were convicted with did not pay his restitution?

Asked on 2/28/11, 12:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Rachelle Howell Rachelle N. Howell, Attorney at Law

It depends on how the plea agreements are written. If you were ordered to only pay a specified percentage of restitution, say 50%, then that is all you will have to pay. However if the plea agreement does not specifically spell out that you are only responsible for paying a percentage, you may still be on the hook for the entire restitution amount if your co-defendant has not paid his or her part.

The wording of your and your co-defendant's plea agreement controls this issue.

Read more
Answered on 2/28/11, 12:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Kentucky