Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

name change

I never married my son's father. He was at the hospital on delivery and had the nurse put his last name on my son's birth certificate. He now refuses to take a paternity test, pay child support, visit or even talk to my son. How do I correct my son's last name? I want him to have my maiden name. The father has been missing for two years I have found him three times but the county attorney has yet to serve any papers on him. He has two other children which he pays child support on. He has remarried.

The question I have is how do I correct the last name my son has and how do I get papers served to the father for a paternity test??

Asked on 3/29/07, 11:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gregory Napier Troutman & Napier, PLLC

Re: name change

As far as the name change, look at KRS 213.046. You need to petition your district court for an order to change the name.

If the dad is found in Kentucky, you could get a copy of the petition and pay a process server to serve him.

Read more
Answered on 3/29/07, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky