Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

Child born to unmarried couple. Parents are no longer together. Fathers name is on Birth Certificate. Does a paternity affidavit need to be filed with the courts or is the form signed at the hospital the same form. Also is a parenting plan not filed with the court have any legal binding in the state of KY. Both parents signed and it was notarized.

Asked on 8/06/15, 8:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Bryan Gowin Bryan Gowin Attorney at Law

Hospital form or affidavit is not sufficient for paternity. Has to be a court judgment of paternity. A notarized parenting plan is not legally binding on either parent, but is evidence of an agreement concerning what the parents intend, however, only a court order can be enforced.

Read more
Answered on 8/06/15, 10:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky